Tuesday, October 9, 2007

dr. linux: or how i stop worrying and learned to love the penguin


so, i recently decided to try out linux on my computer.

when i went to school, i was trained on MAC and when i got out of school, i found that PC was far more reasonably financed. so, in the intervening years, i have been using windows. i can't say that i have had a huge amount of issues, but i've never really been one to tweak my computer. there are some people who can't leave well enough alone, but i think that having a healthy fear of screwing up my computer has always kept me in check.

several years ago, i had 2 computers, but i had an ex that one day decided while i was at work that they needed to be combined into one tower. it turned out that he was right, but that didnt make me any less furious with him for messing with my computer. until very recently, i have always assumed that everyone else knew more about computers than i did and that there was so much to learn that you would have to be born to it. after my latest roommate decided to "help" me with my computer, i reckoned that that was enough. i have since taken an active role in learning how and why my computer works.

the hardware part is easy, but figuring out the software is hard. i only recently found out what the BIOS does, lol. i have been scouring the internet looking for keys to crack open my trial version of illustrator so that i won't have to pay adobe for the privilege, but then my friend justin told me about linux. i had forgotten about linux (in fact, all i remembered was the penguin-doesn't he just look like he should be a squeak toy?).

linux, if you don't know, is free-ware. the version that i am using is called UBUNTU (incidently, the name of the version is Feisty Fawn). here's a link to some info. what makes it interesting is that it can pretty much be customized however you like. i am still attatched to photoshop, don't get me wrong, but i still would like the learning opportunity that linux provides.

the other good thing about linux, and the best reason is that there are no viruses for linux.

No comments: